English word games - advanced level
EFL / ESL - level B2 - C1
Ten kitchen proverbs - an interactive quiz
of wisdom from the kitchen
a lot of English proverbs and idioms began life in the kitchen !
Interactive: fill in on your computer.
Complete these proverbs and sayings with the correct word from the list below, and find the appropriate meaning for each from the list a - j. below.
For example, for the first proverb, you could write b - soup as an answer... but that would be wrong, of course.
To save your answers, take a screenshot.
Missing words: milk, cooks, soup, pot, jam, eggs, plate, frying-pan, tea-cup, cake
- He's got more than enough on his
- To jump out of the into the fire.
- You can't have your and eat it!
- Don't cry over spilt .
- It's tomorrow but not today (and tomorrow never comes!)
- It's a storm in a
- Too many spoil the broth. (broth = soup)
- A watched never boils.
- You can't make an omelette without breaking
- You're really in the now.
Meanings - list a - j
- It's sometimes easier to do things without other people's help.
- The good things are always promised, but never given.
- To go from a bad situation to a worse one!
- The more impatient you are, the longer things seem to take.
- You can't have the best of everything.
- You're in a problematical situation.
- It may be necessary to do something that seems bad in order to get a good result.
- He's already got too much to do.
- It's a lot of trouble for nothing.
- Don't worry about things when it's too late.
Answers from your teacher... or from Google
This document is copyright © Linguapress.com renewed 2020
It is free to use and print for individual use, or for use by teachers with their classes.
It may not be reproduced on other websites or in print form for distribution.
In schools declaring the source of copied materials to a national copyright agency, Linguapress advanced level crosswords and resources should be attributed to "Spectrum" as the source and "Linguapresss France" as the publisher.
Multicopiage en France: en cas de déclaration CFEDC par l'établissement, document à attribuer à "Spectrum", éditeur "Linguapress".