Environmental issues - EFL/ESL reading resources
A choice of texts in graded English on subjects concerning ecology and the environment
Some intermediate texts are classed "C1" - which makes them technically texts for advanced learners. However the C1 ranking in these cases is deceptive, being notably due to the technical vocabulary used; the texts have quite a few long words. In actual fact much of this vocabulary does not make the documents harder to understand for non-native speakers, as these "complicated" technical words will often be similar if not identical to the terms used in the learner's own language – thus making understanding of the text easier, not harder. For example, words like filter, aerodynamics, recycling or physicist are similar in many other languages, and will not cause any difficulty for speakers of these languages, unless they don't understand the term in their own language... which is a different problem altogether ! As for other new long words that are not international or easily guessable, their meanings are explained in the vocabulary guides.
1. Intermediate English texts - CEF levels B1 - B2 - C1
- NEW Polluting for pleasure ? - B1 - a dialogue in simple English.
- Short text: The car of the future? B1- An easy text in semi-technical English
- NEW Pollution - someone else's problem - B1 - a humorous dialogue on a serious subject.
- London in the Sea ? - B1 - Britain's capital city is at serious risk from rising sea levels.
- America's oil - a love affair B1 - Americans use a lot of energy; but the cost of oil is going up.
- Will there be life after oil? - B2 - What will happen when the oil runs out ?
- The wind farm controversy - C1 - Conservationists oppose plans to modernise a wind farm.
- Short text: Living without energy C1 - A short text in semi-technical English
- NEW (Technical) The electric car revolution, realistic or optimistic? With interactive worksheet. Can the world really convert to electric vehicles by the middle of the century?
- NEW Aeroponics. Agriculture for tomorrow's world.
- Mighty Mississippi - C1 - the river that links and divides the USA
- Nature and the environment crossword puzzle themed vocabulary crossword
- California's Water Wars - C1 - Larry Wood reports on a critical issue facing Californians.
- America's bald eagles - a story of success .C2 - How the emblematic bird of the USA has been saved from extinction.
- Save the Everglades - C2 - Florida's unique wetlands are in serious danger.
- Deserts of America - C2 - A large part of the western USA is covered by desert, and it is getting larger.
- Nature / wildlife: the Bird Man of the Isles - C1 -an interview from the Scottish isle of Skye.
- GM crops: Frankenstein food? C2 -Are genetically modified crops a huge risk, or the future of agriculture?
EFL teachers: Help develop Linguapress resources by contributing extra teaching materials or exercises.
Click here for further details
|Linguapress; home||Découvrez l'Angleterre (en français)||Discover Britain|