Comprehension, grammar and vocabulary: exercise and classroom activity
index, listed by type of exercise
or activity or grammar point.
A thematic index of exercises
and classroom activities for use with advanced
English articles on Linguapress.com - median level C1.
Linguapress Advanced reading texts come with exercises and activities
designed to prepare students for the Cambridge
Certificate in Advanced English (CAE) and Proficiency
(CPE) exams, and other
advanced English tests (baccalaureates, PTE Academic, ELSA and others).
This index is not exhaustive, and most Linguapress reading texts are
accompnied by several exercises and activity suggestions.
|What are you looking for?||Comprehension exercises||Grammar exercises|
|Expression - oral & written activities||Vocabulary exercises|
Interactive worksheets / exercises. To save a completed worksheet that has been filled in on a computer or phone, use the print or print to file option of your browser after the answers have been written, and print or save the pages required – or else take (and save) a screenshot.
► To explore different classroom comprehension activities, see Reading comprehension techniques for EFL / ESL
exercises, based on the text.
(gap-fill) exercises, jump to Words
and vocabulary exercises
- A Few Good Reasons with audio - Interactive A short story with general comprehension exercises
- All you need is Love - 22 written or oral comprehension questions on this article
- Britain - at any cost ? 10 oral or written comprehension questions about the article
- America's drive-in movie theaters. True/False questions - justify your answers
- The Bird Man of the Isles - True/False questions
- Bodie - where the west was wildest - Say whether the following statements are true or false.
- Deserts of America - True/False questions
- Drug addiction: Days in the Death... True/False questions
- Mardi Gras in New Orleans
- Mississippi Music : Decide if statements are right (R) or wrong (W). Rewrite any wrong statements, correcting them as necessary.
- Short story - Lucky
Jim - General
- Tea and the British : with audio Text comparison : Find the ten factual mistakes in a summary of the article
- Tolkien & the Hobbit Interactive Read through the article, then complete sentences using relevant information
Comprehension - listening
- Short story - Blue Gum Tree - with audio Two listening comprehension exercises are suggested.
- Crime time basketball - Have students remember what was written in the article.
- Steaming on the Mississippi. with audio Memory exercise - Read or play the text, stopping at the pause marks. Students suggest what follows.
- Thinking it over with baby. with audio Find the differences between the written text and the recorded version, and pick out those that change the meaning.
Comprehension : sequencing events
- Jewel - the voice from Alaska - Read the article then put list of events into chronological order.
- Route 66 - Highway 66 revisited : Read the article, then put these events in the right order.
Comprehension - careful reading for information
- Nevada and its Extraterrestrials Find the 20 cases where the information in the resumé of the article does not correctly reflect what was written in the original. Covers vocabulary and factual information.
- Deserts of America. Parallel text : Underline all the cases where the information given is not the same as the information in the original article.
- Pubs and their signs Read the article and write down five things that you have learned about British pubs.
- Smugglers text correction: Correct the mistakes in this badly copied extract from the article.
- Tea and the British : with audio Text comparison : Find the ten factual mistakes in this summary of the article
- The American way of eating. with audio Reuse information from the article, starting with the prompts given.
- Awaiting the big one - Imagine that you are a journalist in 1906 in San Francisco, a short time after the earthquake. Describe the scene that you see
- California's Water Wars: Produce projects for authentic documents (in English) for distribution to the public
- College sport USA. Write a letter reusing certain elements of vocabulary from the article.
- The Bird Man of the Isles : Write a 400-word article about Graham Ross using the interview as your raw material.
- The Story of the blues - with audio Write sentences to link the following words in the order given
- Leonard cohen Interview : write an article about Cohen, using the interview as your source.
Notting Hill Carnival - Describe
a day at the
carnival, using the words given
- Route 66 - Highway 66 revisited : Letter writing, based on information in the article
- Short story - Blue Gum Tree with audio Retell the story as a local newspaper article. Include certain terms.
- Short story - The Car : with audio Rewrite the story as told by Shafi in his own words.
- Short Story - Lucky Jim - Interactive The local coast guard chief had to write a report explaining the events that took place. Complete the sentences.
- Tolkien & the Hobbit: letter writing, based on information in the article. An exchange of letters between Tolkien and Edith.
See also creative writing exercises above.
- College sport USA. - Rephrase a complex sentence, using the framework given
- Thanksgiving with audio - Interactive Rephrase sentences, starting with the prompt given:
- America's Amish - Imagine an interview with Johan, using the question words indicated
- Crime time basketball - Rearrange the words to make questions that relate to the article
- For Elise - a short story - with audio An investigative journalist from New York came to interview Coke Bucknil about the story of Elise Toussaint. Here are the answers to his questions; what were the questions?
- Hillary Clinton - the early years . Form questions from the answers given.
- Orson Welles : Fictitious interview with Orson Welles: what were your questions ?
- Short story - Blue Gum Tree : with audio Police interview. Here are the answers, what were the questions ?
- Short Story - Lucky
Interactive Here are the answers, what
were the questions ?
- Short story - The Car : with audio Interactive Police interview. Here are the answers, what were the questions ?
- Steaming on the Mississippi. with audio Interactive Make up questions to which this article provides the answers, using the prompt words given
- Thanksgiving. with audio Interactive Form questions starting with specific question words, to which the article provides the answer
- Thinking it over with baby. with audio Interactive Make up questions using the words provided, then answer them
- The Mormons - Make up one correctly structured sentence from each of the groups of words below.
- Rodeo - two exercises to explore the question of style
- America's Bald Eagles - reduce each paragraph of this article to no more than 20 words,
- The Bird Man of the
Write a 400-word article based
on this interview.
- College sport USA - Reduce this article to about half its length.
- Hillary Clinton - the early years Contract the article to about half its length.
- America's teenage courts - Reduce the article to four sentences of about 30 words each
Role play activities:
- Amerca's Teen courts - Conduct sessions of the teen court in class, using the method indicated
- Amerca's Deserts - A citizens' meeting is held as the climate gets drier and drier.
- The Bird Man of the Isles : Pair work : recreate the interview, using the original questions.
- Ellis Island - with audio Structured role play, with roles and theme
- GM crops - Frankenstein foods ? Role-play exercise - 5 roles
- Save the Everglades - Structured role play exercise , with roles and theme
- A Town called Sturgis - Imagine a radio sketch based on the article
- Pubs and their signs Interactive Complete an extract from the text, adding articles where necessary.
- Thanksgiving. with audio Interactive Choose the correct article frolm the dropdown lists
- Skyscrapers . Interactive Put in the definite articles in an extract from the text, but only when they are needed.
- Britain at any cost ? : Discover the different ways in which negation is expressed in this article
- Skiing in the wind : explain the meaning of the many compound nouns used in the article
- Nevada and its Extraterrestrials Interactive Replace all the missing prepositions and adverbs in this extract from the article.
- The story of Ellis Island with audio Complete these sentences with the appropriate prepositions
- America's Amish - Interactive Replace all the missing prepositions in this extract from the article.
- Save the Everglades - Replace all the missing prepositions in this extract from the article.
Prepositional and phrasal verbs
- Rodeo : Have students pick out and explain the phrasal/prepositional verbs used.
- Woody Guthrie - Match the prepositional verbs listed with their meanings.
- All you need is love - Interactive Replace the missing relatives (that, which, who, whom,) or nominal relatives ( what, how) in this extract
- The Mormons - Interactive Replace the missing relative pronoun in these sentences: (which, what or whose?)
- The story of Ellis Island - with audio match phrases and add a time clause.
Verbs : participles, tenses, voice
- Martin Luther King - with audio Interactive Blank-fill : replace the verbs and participles indicated, using the correct form.
- America's teenage courts - Interactive Blank-fill : put the verbs into the correct form
- Save the Everglades - this text well illustrates use of the present perfect tense.
- Skiing in the wind : Interactive transform active sentences into the passive voice
- The Story of the jet plane
- Interactive Replace all
missing -ing and -ed endings in this extract.
Verbs : modals and auxiliaries
- Henry Ford with audio Interactive Blank-fill - Replace missing modal verbs or auxiliaries in extracts from the article
- John Lennon Interactive Blank-fill - Replace missing modal verbs or auxiliaries in these extracts from the article
Vocabulary exercises : general – including cloze (gap-fill) exercises
- The American way of eating with audio Interactive multiple-choice cloze exercise - (CAE style)
- America's Bald Eagles: What expressions, used in the original article, mean...?
- Britain - at any
cost ? Find
the words in the text that mean.....
- California's Water Wars - Memory and logic - complete an extract from the text, using the qualifiers (adjectives, etc.) listed.
- Crime time basketball - Open-cloze (gap fill) exercise
- Charles Babbage Explain, in English, the following words and expressions
Interactive Two multiple choice vocabulary
- GM crops - Frankenstein foods ? Explain and rephrase selected words / expressions.
- GM crops - Frankenstein foods Interactive Blank-fill (cloze) exercise . Complete an extract from the text. some cases require the original expression, others require alternatives.
- Life in Umbridge - living in the country - Words and structures Complete sentences using appropriate words in the right structure.
- Mark Twain and the frogs of Calaveras County with audio Gap-fill exercise - words and parts of words
- Meet Robodog. Technical language : Explain the meaning of the following expressions:
- Mighty Mississippi - Blank-fill exercise : Try to complete this extract from the text using words in the list provided
- Mississippi Music - Missing words exercise. Interactive - Slide the missing words into the correct gaps in the section about Elvis Presley
- Rosa Parks - Find the opposites of certain words, in the article.
- Shakespeare 400 years on - General text study exercises.
- Short story - the Car Interactive Select the closest equivalent of the words and expressions used in the story:
- Smugglers : Explain the italicized expressions in the article; then make up sentences reusing them
- The Yukon quest -
the expressions, used in the text, that could be
rephrased using the following words.
Vocabulary - multiple choice exercises (including multiple choice cloze exercises)
- America's Drive-in movie theaters Interactive MCQ vocabulary exercise
- Who killed Martin Luther King with audio
- Rosa Parks - Select the best alternative for the following words or phrases that occur in the article
- Britain at any cost ? : Find the words in the,article which have the meaning of ...
- Short story : Lucky Jim - Interactive Select the nearest equivalents
- Who is Angelyne ? Select the nearest equivalent to the following words as used in the article.
- Route 66 - Highway 66 revisited : Select the nearest equivalent for the following words and phrases
Vocabulary : words and meaning
- The story of the blues : with audio Explain the use of the following expressions.
- Stephen Hawking : Explain the following expressions in your own words:
Vocabulary : Synonyms
- Aeroponics - farming without fields - with audio Interactive Choose the nearest equivalent of each of the following expressions: click down arrow and select the correct answer.
Chinese come out on top -
Rephrasing - complete an
extract from the article using alternative words and expressions
- The Yukon quest - Find the expressions, used in the text, that could be rephrased using the following words.
- Short story - the Car with audio Interactive Select the best synonym from the dropdown list:
- Aeroponics - farming without fields - with audio Interactive Add the missing word endings in this extract.
- Americans fat and thin: Interactive Add the necessary word endings, and words, to complete this extract
- America's bald eagles: Interactive Add the necessary word endings, and words, to complete this extract
- California - Awaiting the big one Interactive Replace the missing word-endings in two extracts from the article.
- Log cabins and the White House - Add the missing word endings in this extract.
- Stephen Hawking - Interactive online exercise (click) - Without referring back to the article, try to put in all the correct endings
- Wall street culture Interactive Replace the missing word endings.
- Woody Guthrie - Interactive Replace the missing word endings in this short extract from the article
- America's teenage courts - Find words or expresions in the text which mean...
- Americans fat and thin. Here are some synonyms : find the original words
- Agatha Christie - Interactive Reorganise the words in the boxes to make up correctly structured sentences.
- Americans fat and thin. Here are some synonyms : find the original words